“The Gates Cambridge Scholarships are available to Master’s or PhD students who have recently enrolled at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. These scholarships are specifically aimed at postgraduate students from countries other than the UK, who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievements, a commitment to making a positive impact on society, and leadership potential. The program is highly competitive and offers full funding. The application period is open from September to December each year.
Established in 2000, the Gates Cambridge Scholarships were made possible by a generous donation of $210 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. This gift, the largest ever given to a British university for the benefit of its most prestigious postgraduate program, helps deserving students pursue their studies at the University of Cambridge.
The host institution for the scholarships is the University of Cambridge in the UK. The scholarships are available for various levels and fields of study, including Master’s, PhD, and one-year postgraduate courses. However, certain programs such as Business Doctorate (BusD), Master of Business (MBA), Master of Finance (MFin), PGCE, MBBChir Clinical Studies, MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time), Graduate Course in Medicine (A101), part-time degrees, non-degree courses, and some others are excluded.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarships provide full funding for the selected scholars.
To be eligible for the scholarships, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be citizens of countries other than the United Kingdom.
- Apply for a full-time course of study at the University of Cambridge, such as a PhD, MPhil/MLitt, or a one-year postgraduate course.
- Be a current student at the University of Cambridge. For example, if currently pursuing an MPhil, one can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to pursue a PhD. Current Gates Cambridge Scholars pursuing a new degree may also apply for a second year. However, it is not possible to apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship to cover the remaining duration of a course if it has already begun.
The application process requires candidates to provide standard information about themselves, their academic history, and their plans and suitability for the proposed course. The application should be submitted through the University’s Graduate Application Portal, including the Gates Cambridge portion of the funding section. Applicants should also submit their applications for admission and financial aid by the specified deadline, which can vary depending on the course applied for.
The application period for the Gates Cambridge Scholarships opens in September and closes on either December 1st or January 5th, depending on the specific course being applied for. Interested candidates are encouraged to visit the University Course Directory for further details.
- “Healthcare Careers: Jobs in the NHS and Beyond”
- “From Skilled Worker to Permanent Resident: Canada’s Express Entry System”
- “H1-B Visa Guide: Navigating the US Work Immigration Process”
- “Healthcare Careers in the Great White North”
- “Canada on a Budget: Affordable Travel Tips”
- “Career Corners: Hot Industries for Jobs in the United States”