1) Unity with Christ : Taking part in the holy communion fuses us with Christ . St. Cyril of Alexandria associate it as to as “when melted wax is fused with other wax.” The Christian journey is a journey to become like Christ, to “abide in him” and he in us. The holy communion is the means for this to take place .
2) cleansen of venial sin: The holy communion cleansen us from venial sins . Destroys! Through sin, the fervor of our charity can be dampened by venial sin. But when we take the holy communion we are united with Charity himself, which burns away the vestiges of our venial sins and leaves us cleansed and ready to begin again.
3) Preservation from mortal sin: While it’s true we should avoid taking the holy communion at the state of mortal sins, we should try our best to take the holy communion as often as possible . It is as if the Eucharist’s power washes away the venial sin in our souls and then covers us with a protective coat which helps us to stay away from serious sin.
4) Personal relationship with Jesus: Many Christians speak of the importance of a personal relationship with Jesus, which is very true. But it is primarily through the Eucharist that we can truly have an intimate encounter with the Person of Jesus.
5) For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself.
6) The signs of bread and wine become, in a way surpassing understanding, the Body and Blood of Christ; they continue also to signify the goodness of creation.
7) Christ calls himself the bread of life come down from heaven.
8) We must therefore consider the Eucharist as: Thanksgiving and praise to the Father; the sacrificial memorial of Christ and his Body; the presence of Christ by the power of his word and of his Spirit.